Monday 3 February 2014

Kris Versteeg's Difficult Return


Kris Versteeg's return to the Chicago Blackhawks after more than three seasons away hasn't exactly gone as smoothly as people may think.
"You try to get back to the old routine, but restaurants aren't there anymore or other things have changed," Versteeg said.
Chicago traded Versteeg to the Toronto Maple Leafs after it won the Stanley Cup in 2010. Toronto traded him to the Philadelphia Flyers later in the 2010-11 season; he signed a four-year contract with the Florida Panthers in the summer of 2011. Florida traded Versteeg to the Blackhawks on Nov. 13.
"It's still a little weird for me. It's still like I almost can't believe I'm back, especially since I signed a four-year deal in Florida and never thought I'd be leaving there because of the relationship I had with [Panthers general manager] Dale [Tallon]. I was mentally set on being a Panther, so it's still hitting me out of left field in the sense I can't believe it's real because I'm extremely thrilled. I couldn't believe it actually happened, and that's the biggest reason why I'm still kind of caught off-guard, figuring that out."
Clearly, Versteeg never wanted to leave Chicago, especially after winning the Stanley Cup, but the team was forced to trade him because of salary-cap complications.
"With the guys in the room I'm back to normal because we're joking around, having fun. You see things guys do in warmups and you're like, 'Oh yeah, that's what that guy does.' The routines guys go through I'm like, 'Ah, now I remember all this stuff.' But the rest of it is only starting to come back all the way around to being normal."

No comments:

Post a Comment