Sunday 8 December 2013

Cowardly attack by Shawn Thornton on Brooks Orpik


Boston Bruins left wing Shawn Thornton will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety at a to-be-determined date for an incident with Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on Saturday at TD Garden. Thornton was offered the opportunity for an in-person hearing as required by provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement for any suspension that can exceed five games. With play stopped at 11:06, of the first period, Thornton confronted Orpik in a scrum, pulling him to the ice and throwing punches. Orpik remained injured on the ice as Penguins players immediately called for medical assistance before being removed from the ice on a stretcher. The Penguins announced after the game he would travel with the team back to Pittsburgh; he had been taken to a local hospital, where he was alert and conscious. Thornton was assessed a match penalty on the play; he appeared to pull Orpik down and punch him while he was on the ice. Orpik was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was alert and conscious, the Penguins announced. Orpik returned from the hospital and will travel with the team back to Pittsburgh, coach Dan Bylsma said after the game. Thornton will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety at a to-be-determined date, the League announced Saturday night. The Bruins said via Twitter he will not travel for a game Sunday against the Toronto Maple Leafs.


The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: rule 46.2, aggressor and rule 46.15, match penalty. The horrendous attack on Orpik came about when Penguins left wing James Neal hit Bruins left wing Brad Marchand at 11:06 of the first period. Neal struck Marchand with his knee when Marchand was down on the ice, and although Marchand remained in the game, Neal was assessed a two-minute minor for kneeing on the play and will have a phone hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety on Monday. The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: kneeing. However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review. Bruins forward Loui Eriksson left the game after his first shift following a hit from Orpik, while the Bruins on Thursday saw defenseman Johnny Boychuk taken from the ice on a stretcher after a hit by Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty. Boychuk has a sprained back and is out up to a week. The Pens now have a massive shortage of defenseman following a succession of bad injuries themselves.

This was far from acceptable from Neal but Thornton's behaviour was even worse, delivering a cheap shot to Orpik who knew little about the on-coming punch. Thornton, who looks every inch like a neanderthal behaved like one, and we can only hope he receives a lengthy ban. If it was left to me he would never be allowed to play hockey again, lets face it being a fourth liner lacking in skill, other than the ability to break bones, he wouldn't be a loss to the world of hockey. It is almost laughable reading his post-game comments, giving the usual 'I'm sorry' message, that is in the hope of a lighter punishment. If there was any justice he would be banned for the remainder of this season, and the bruins deducted points.

"Listen I feel awful. It wasn’t my intention for that outcome. I know Brooksie. I’ve gotten to know him over the last several years here. I skated with him in the summer through the lockout. I texted him a couple times. I feel awful. It definitely was not I wanted to see or anybody wanted to see."

"That’s always my job, I guess, to defend my teammates. But I've prided myself for a long time to stay within the lines. I said, it’s hard for me to talk about right now. I can't say I'm sorry enough. And I'm sure I'll be criticized for saying it, but it's true. I just, I hope he's doing all right. I heard that he's conscious and talking. I'm happy to hear that."

"Obviously I made a mistake. I'm aware of it. I've been told that I'll be having a hearing. And it's hard for me to say much more than ... it was not my intention, I feel awful, I felt sick all game, so …"

It is a shame really as I found this Bruins team extremely likeable over the last few years but with disgraceful actions like this, it sours my opinion on them. I don't agree with James Neal's kneeing on Brad Marchand either, whatever punishment he receives will be just, but at least Marchand was not seriously hurt, being able to finish the remainder of the game, while Neal really is not that type of player. Thornton behaves like an oath, much in the same vein as Chris Neil and Zac Rinaldo. If the league don't act on these types of players then you can only hope, someone gives them a taste of their own medicine. Would Thornton continue to deliver cheap shots if someone hospitalised him? As harsh as it sounds maybe he would look at things differently then.
 

 
Boston Bruins forward Chris Kelly was placed on long-term injured reserve Sunday with a fractured right fibula. He was injured in the second period of the game against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday and is expected to miss four to six weeks. Kelly is one of several Bruins who will be out of the lineup when the team takes on the Toronto Maple Leafs on Sunday night at Air Canada Centre. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli also announced that Adam McQuaid (groin injury) was placed on IR. In addition to Kelly and McQuaid, the team is without Johnny Boychuck (sprained back) and Loui Eriksson (concussion). Shawn Thornton is suspended. The date of Thornton's hearing has not been set. The Bruins called up Ryan Spooner and Matt Fraser from Providence of the American Hockey League. Spooner and Fraser will each be available for the game against the Maple Leafs.
 
The lights are on but nodody's home
Game Penalties in Full
1st Period
00:21
BOS
Zdeno Chara  Cross checking against  Chris Kunitz
05:44
BOS
Shawn Thornton  Roughing against  Brooks Orpik
07:19
BOS
Milan Lucic  Fighting (maj) against  Deryk Engelland
07:19
PIT
Deryk Engelland  Fighting (maj) against  Milan Lucic
11:06
PIT
James Neal  Kneeing against  Brad Marchand
11:06
BOS
Shawn Thornton  Match penalty against  Brooks Orpik
17:42
PIT
Chris Conner  Hi-sticking against  Kevan Miller
2nd Period
00:44
BOS
Brad Marchand  Hi stick - double minor against  Chris Kunitz
08:52
PIT
Simon Despres  Holding against  David Krejci
11:22
BOS
Jarome Iginla  Holding against  Simon Despres
11:52
PIT
Chris Kunitz  Slashing against  Daniel Paille
3rd Period
03:43
PIT
Chris Kunitz  Tripping against  Dougie Hamilton
 

No comments:

Post a Comment