Thursday 3 November 2016

NHL - Calgary Flames @ Chicago Blackhawks 3-2 SO - Monday, October 24, 2016



It took a couple of guys who know their way around United Center for the Calgary Flames to defeat the Chicago Blackhawks 3-2 in a shootout. Kris Versteeg scored in the seventh round and goalie Brian Elliott didn't allow a shootout goal to help the Flames (2-4-1) avoid a three-game losing streak.
Versteeg, a former Blackhawks forward, deked Chicago goalie Corey Crawford to the ice and tucked the puck past his left pad after a combined 13 failed attempts. It rewarded Elliott, who led the St. Louis Blues past the Blackhawks last season in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Elliott's biggest save was at the end of regulation. He denied Blackhawks forward Richard Panik with a sprawling skate save to force overtime. Elliott then helped the Flames kill a penalty in overtime, making six saves. Patrick Kane and Brian Campbell scored for the Blackhawks (3-3-1). Crawford made 29 saves.
Sam Bennett and Sean Monahan had goals for Calgary, which took a 1-0 lead at 4:51 of the first period on Bennett's goal.


* Versteeg showed patience on his goal in the shootout, waiting for Crawford to drop to the ice and pulling the puck back to his right to tuck it around the left pad.
"We've known each other for 11 years. He kind of knows everything. I just kind of blacked out, I don't really know what I was doing. I guess it worked." said Versteeg, who played with Crawford in the minor leagues and with the Blackhawks.
"It was just a rebound right to him in the slot and I just tried to throw the furniture at it and got a piece of it with my skate." Elliott said.
Kris Versteeg: "A lot of emotions. It's very special to me. Some of my best friends in the game of hockey are from here. I was laughing after I got booed, right when I was about to go. It was pretty funny. These fans have been nothing but amazing to me, and I thank them for everything. It was real fun."

No comments:

Post a Comment